39. Once a default judgment is entered, is there anything I can do?

Yes. Within 14 days after a default judgment, you can file a motion asking the court to reverse its decision and set aside the default judgment. If the court grants your motion, you then have a chance to present your defense to the State’s forfeiture suit. The judge can set aside the default judgment if the judge believes you have explained why your Answer to the State’s case was not filed on time. In other words, the judge will decide if you have shown “good cause” for why you did not file your Answer on time. For example, a judge might consider it good cause if you received service of the State’s Petition, but then you became extremely ill for the next two weeks and could not file on time.