33. What can I do to settle my case?

You can attempt to call and talk to the District Attorney handling the State’s forfeiture lawsuit. You may have to compromise, but the State probably does not want to go to trial either, so settlement may be a good solution. Settlement may also save you the costs associated with going to court, such as lost work hours, court filing fees, and some mailing costs.

In our example, Steve might call, email, or mail a letter to the York County District Attorney saying that the seizure was a mistake, asking for his money back, and showing that he got the $900 from a check casher after cashing his legal paycheck.