24. Do I have to file and serve documents in a forfeiture case?

Yes. In addition to filing the Answer with the court, you will need to serve the Answer on the State's attorney that filed the original forfeiture suit. You should also serve any other interested party listed in the lawsuit, or their legal representative, if they have an attorney. If you make any other requests of the court by filing any motions (for example, asking the court to deny a request for discovery as discussed in Question 28), you will also need to serve those documents on the State's attorney and on any other parties to the lawsuit.